Thursday, January 24, 2008

Eggs Viennese to die for at the new Mediterranean Grill

Wonderful Lisa Ellis, Development Director of Siloam Family Health Center, a Nashvillian from the moment she arrived to town not fifteen months ago, is always introducing me to delightful, delicious secrets in Music City. This, I have to say, is the best secret she's let me in on yet...

On the third day it was open, Lisa and I breakfasted at Mediterranean Grill at 600 West Iris Dr. in Nashville (formerly La Luna, near 100 Oaks Shopping Center and in Berry Hill).

Yanni Panagiotakis, the owner, greeted us warmly and called Lisa by name. We were the only people in there at 8:30 a.m. Lisa, I believe, had the Eggs Florentine and was delighted. I ordered the Eggs Viennese and, simply put, couldn't stop dreaming of that for weeks after. Two poached eggs on an English muffin with cream cheese and lox topped with the most heavenly homemade hollandaise. I measure a breakfast place by its Eggs Benedict (or similar menu item). Not six months ago I had wonderful Eggs Benedict for $30. This at $6.50 put the other eggs to shame.

I begged and cajoled my family to come with me to experience the wonderful atmosphere created by this Greek restaurant owner who had a ready smile and is eternally determine that every guest (yes, not customer, you're treated as a guest) has a wonderful time and delicious culinary experience.

My husband enjoyed homemade Spanokopita (fresh spinach, feta cheese, herbs and spices wrapped in a flaky filo dough) and Gyro platter ($7.50). He enjoyed every bite of the light pastry, fresh crispy Greek salad and thinly sliced lamb.

The menu is diverse and Yannis was happy to offer my daughter recommendations for a child's palette. She chose the chicken fingers and French fries. The fries were heavenly (evidently Yanni has received accolades for years for his French fries in earlier restaurants he has owned) and the chicken fingers had a unique batter that was different enough to be interesting, but traditional enough to make a kid happy.

I enjoyed a sampling of various Greek dishes including Mousaka (layers of sliced eggplant, zucchini and ground beef topped with bachamel sauce), the Spanokopita and vegetable medly. If you love Greek food, Italian cuisine, healthy choices or fresh, made-from scratch pastries, you must go meet Yannis and his staff yourself.

He has created a restaurant that can be intimate or open up to a large enclosed patio-type area.

I am looking for an excuse for another breakfast meeting soon!

No comments: